Lack of information is one of the biggest mistakes made by first-time volunteers. We know that many times it is embarrassing to ask so many questions for fear of being annoying or tiresome, keep in mind that you are going to go to another country, you will for sure have a big set of questions to ask.
Below you will find a list of essential questions, in case you want to prepare yourself before talking to the NGO:
- What will I have to do?
- How many hours?
- Do I have any free time?
- What insurance do you recommend? Does the NGO have accident insurance?
- Do I need to have special training or will it be given to me there?
- Do I have to pay? If so, what does it include?
- Will someone pick me up? Is it included in the cost? If not, what are my options?
- What is the accommodation like? Bathroom? Food?
- What is the cost of living in that country?
- Can I stay longer than the duration of the project?
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask the NGO, specifying as much as possible your queries.